What PEFC means to you
PEFC certification provides our customers with third party verification that
Glatfelter products come from sustainable, non-controversial sources. It
addresses environmental concerns our customers have while allowing them to
make informed decisions. In addition, by choosing PEFC, buyers can help
combat illegal logging.
What is PEFC?
PEFC (Programme for the Endorsement of Forest Certification schemes) is
an independent, non-profit, non-governmental organization, founded in 1999
which promotes sustainably managed forests through independent third party
The PEFC provides an assurance mechanism to purchasers of wood and paper
products that wood for certified timber-based products comes from forests
that are ecologically, socially and economically sustainable.
PEFC principles, as cited in its leaflet
It’s Good to Buy Certified Wood (2.14 MB PDF), include:
- No more wood is harvested than is regrown.
- Trees are replanted or naturally regenerated after harvesting.
- Workers’ rights and welfare are protected.
- Local employment is encouraged.
- Indigenous peoples’ and owners’ rights, i.e., those who earn their
livelihoods from and/or live in the forest, are respected.
- Forests are maintained as habitats for wild animals and plants.
- Functions of forests for the protection of water, soil and climate
- Biodiversity of forest ecosystems is conserved.
- The origin of the wood raw material is verified.